It is very difficult to visit France in 10 days only, and even more to choose the places to visit for a France train tour… But as nothing is impossible, here is my itinerary to visit France in 10 days by train !
This proposed tour is just a model that I share with you to give you an idea and help you build your own itinerary. It can be different depending on traffic, strikes, changes in schedules, deviations…
Visit France in 10 days – my route in France by train
As a reminder and before giving you more important circuit details, here is the map of the 10 days in France itinerary by train.
Visit France in 10 days – booking train tickets
As this itinerary is made for a France tour by train, you are perhaps asking : where can I book my train tickets ? Directly in Paris ? At the station ? On line ?
I think that it’s better to book some months in advance to have a better choice in schedules. And it’s a truth that it’s easier to book on line !
Here is a good website serious and reliable where you can find France ticket trains : https://www.thetrainline.com/en/train-companies/sncf
Visit France in 10 days – Detailed itinerary by train day by day
My route in France by train – DAY 1
- Arrival at Charles de Gaulle Airport.
- Take a taxi to your hotel : about 30 minutes.
- Night in Paris with perhaps a Cruise on the Seine…
You know that Montmartre is my favorite place in Paris ?
So, I advise you to book an hotel in this beautiful place in Paris.
You will find herebelow my 2 favorite ones.
Hotel Ibis Paris Montmartre
Why Hotel Ibis Paris Montmartre is a good choice ?
Because its location is perfect ! You can plan a dinner at the cabaret Le Moulin Rouge, and you will not have to take any taxi…
At 15-minute walk from Sacre-Cœur basilica, this Ibis hotel is also near a metro station (at 5 minutes on walk).
The location is good because it is in the center of Paris with a lot of restaurants and cafes.
But the main advantage is his price : for an hotel in Paris it is not expensive !
Hotel Lepic Montmartre
Why the Maison Lepic Montmartre is a good choice ?
A garden-terrace in the center of Paris is unexpected, rare and very pleasant ! Its atmosphere is romantic and just at few steps from the Sacre Cœur.
As it’s realy a dreamed hotel for a romantic stay in Paris, Maison Lepic Montmartre is definitively my favorite hotel in Montmartre !
Rooms are cozy, clean and very well equipped. Breakfast buffet is generous with fresh quality products and delicious pastries.
My route in France by train – DAY 2
- Visit Paris : Eiffel Tower, Arts Bridge, Champs Elysées, The Tuileries, Notre Dame Cathedral, The Sacré Cœur and Montmartre…
- You can take a touristic bus to visit the best places in Paris.
- Cruise on the Seine or a dinner show at Moulin Rouge cabaret ;
- Night in Montmartre Hotel.
My route in France by train – DAY 3
- Visit Paris on the morning : continuation with museums, shopping…
- 13h00 – Departure from Gare Austerlitz in Paris to Mer (in the Loir et Cher) (2h)
- Change in Blois city
- 14h44 Take the Regional Express Transport train
- Arrival at 14h53 at Mer (Loir-et-Cher)
- Take a taxi in Mer (+33 2 54 78 07 65 or +33 2 54 74 00 40) to Chambord (15minutes)
- Hotel installation
Best hotel in Chambord – Relais de Chambord
Here is the most beautiful place to spend the evening and the night in Chambord.
A night in the luxurious 4 stars hotel Relais de Chambord is a single experience you should offer !
Furthermore, the location of this hotel is perfect (it’s the nearest hotel from Chambord Castle), it has 2 good restaurants,spa, steam room and sauna…
My route in France by train – DAY 4
- Visit Chambord Castle on the morning.
Built in the heart of the biggest closed forest park in Europe, Chambord castle is the largest and the most harmonious castle in Loire Valley.
- 14h30 – Taxi for Mer train station (15 minutes)
- 15h09 – Train Mer – Amboise (St Pierre) 30 minutes
- 3h43 – Arrival in Amboise
- Visit Amboise Castle (1h00)
Amboise with his Castle, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is an architectural jewel of the Renaissance located on the banks of the Loire River.
- Hotel installation – Night in Amboise
Hotel in Amboise – Le Manoir Saint Thomas
Perfect to spend a night in a castle as if you lived in the 16th century ! This is a luxurious and beautiful place in a historic setting. Ideally located in Amboise, a few steps from the Castle, this hotel has a very nice swimming pool and modern comfort in his manor house. For only 100 Euros the night !
My route in France by train – DAY 5
- Visit Amboise city on the morning
- 12h00 – Departure from your hotel by taxi to Amboise train station
- 12h35 – Departure from Amboise to St-Pierre-des-Corps by train (Regional Express Transport) (15 minutes)
- Change in St-Pierre-des-Corps (12 min)
- 13h02 – Departure from St-Pierre-des-Corps by TGV for Bordeaux (1h50)
- 14h52 – Arrival in Bordeaux-St-Jean
- 15h00 – Taxi to your Hotel
- Visit Bordeaux and night in Bordeaux
Best hotel in Bordeaux – Coté Cour de L’Hôtel Particulier
In Bordeaux, I must advise you a beautiful accommodation in the historic center and near all the main sites to visit. This is not an hotel but a guest house.The elegant rooms are fully equipped but you can also order breakfasts.
It is situated in the centre between the Grand Théâtre and Saint-Andre’s Cathedral. From The Coté Cour de l’Hotel Particulier, it’s only five-minute walk to many of the sights, to shopping on the Cours de l’Intendance, to busy Place Gambetta or to the chic bars and restaurants behind Place de la Bourse.
This is in my opinion the best choice of accommodation in Bordeaux for a small to medium budget.
My route in France by train – DAY 6
- Visit Bordeaux cf. my post Bordeaux in one day.
My route in France by train – DAY 7
- Visit Bordeaux on the morning (continuation) ;
- 14h02 – Departure from train station St Jean in Bordeau by TGV train
- 16h00 – Arrival in Toulouse Matabiau
- Take a taxi to your Hotel
- Visit Toulouse on the afternoon : book a funny sightseeing tour (1h) or choose a free itinerary on foot
- Night in Toulouse
Hotel in Toulouse – Le Grand Balcon
Very well located in the center of Toulouse (100 m from the Capitol), this 4-star hotel is lovely decorated in the 1930s with a mix of tradition and modernity.
Its location allows to visit the historic center walking all around the hotel.
In addition, the shopping streets and the big Galeries Lafayette Mall are also at 5 minutes walk from the Grand Balcon Hotel.
The quiet rooms are comfortable and breakfast is really so good !
My route in France by train – DAY 8
- Day Trip to Carcassonne by bus from Toulouse. In the center of Toulouse, you can take a bus (30 Euros A/R) that will take you to discover the city of Carcassonne, the castle Comtal and the basilica Saint Nazaire. Be carreful : These excursions are only available on Fridays in summer and on Sundays in spring and autumn.Link for reservation
At about 80 km east of Toulouse, the Medieval City is a fortified city unlike any other in Europe, on account of its size and its state of preservation. Its history is marked by 2000 years of conquest and by the imprint of Catharism and the Crusades. The Cité de Carcassonne is one of the most beautiful medieval cities in the world, listed as a Historical Monument and a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- Come back to Toulouse by bus
- Night in Toulouse
My route in France by train – DAY 9
- Visit Toulouse on the morning (continuation)
- 14h28 – Departure from Toulouse-Matabiau in Regional Express Transport train (1 h 47 min) to Gourdon (near Rocamadour)
- 16h15 – Arrival in Gourdon
- Taxi Gourdon – Rocamadour (32 minutes)
- 17h00 – Hotel installation
- Dinner and night in Rocamadour
Best hotel in Rocamadour – Best Western Beau Site
For you last night, I know a beautiful hotel with a lot of charm and character : Best Western Beau Site
It is ideally situated in the heart of the medieval town and offers free parking.
With a panoramic dining room, the restaurant serves delicious regional gourmet cuisine inspired by the local produce.
My route in France by train – DAY 10
- Rocamadour Tour all the day
The medieval city of Rocamadour offers an impressive belvedere on the Alzou canyon. This mythical site has been a place of pilgrimage since the Middle Ages.
- 17h45 – Taxi to Rocamadour station Padirac (10 minutes)
- 18h13 – Departure from Roc Amadour Padirac with a Transport Express Regional train (40 minutes)
- Change in Brive-la-Gaillarde (10 min)
- 19h03 – Departure from Brive-la-Gaillarde (4h23)
- 23h30 – Arrival in Paris Austerlitz
- Taxi to Roissy airport or to your airport hotel
Do you prefer a car tour ? Read my post 10 days in France – My route in France by car.