You plan to spend 10 days in France to discover the French coast from Normandy to Brittany. If you want to organize yourself this beautiful trip, you may need ideas of sites to visit, best places to see, villages to sleep… Here is my route that allows you to make a nice tour from Normandy to Brittany via Rouen, Honfleur, Etretat, Deauville, Bayeux, Mont Saint Michel, Saint Malo, Pointe du Raz, Pont Aven …
Normandy and Brittany tour by car
The road itinerary that I propose below is a simple model that I share with travelers. It may inspire them to develop their own trip to France. Estimates of journey times, timetable schedule are only indicative because they can change according to period of vacation (summer or winter), traffic, strikes, deviations…
Normandy Brittany in 10 days – My car tour
Here is the map outlining the route to follow the coast from Normandy to Brittany by car in just 10 days. Of course, if you have 12 days, 2 weeks or more, this trip will be even more interesting because you can see more things by taking more time. But for a trip in Normandy and Brittany optimized for 10 days, it’s a good compromise !
Normandy Brittany – Driving itinerary map
Normandy Brittany in 10 days – Summary of my itinerary
Paris – Rouen – Honfleur – Etretat Cliffs – Deauville – Caen – Landing D-day beaches – Bayeux – Mont-Saint-Michel – Saint-Malo – Dinan – Paimpol – Ploumanac’h – Tregastel – Pointe De Primel – Le Diben – Morlaix – Quimper – Locronan – Douarnenez – Pointe Du Raz – Concarneau – Pont-Aven – Quiberon – Vannes – Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport.
Normandy Brittany in 10 days – Car Rental
As this trip is established for a car tour, you may be wondering : Where to rent the car ? Directly at the airport in Paris ? Should we book it in advance ? What are the reliable websites ?
So yes, you can rent your car at the airport, but you can save time by booking it online. It is so easy and secure to hire a car with Expedia (for example) that it could be the solution. They offer good prices and have an excellent customer service team to help you when needed …
Normandy Brittany in 10 days – Detailed circuit
Paris Rouen Etretat Cliffs – Day 1
- Departure at 7h30 from Paris to Rouen (1h30)
- Visit Rouen
Rouen is a beautiful medieval town with an imposing Gothic Cathedral, where you can stroll through its many narrow streets with half-timbered houses. But to visit Rouen is also to remember Jeanne d’Arc who was imprisoned, tried and burned alive on the Place du Vieux-Marché.
A circuit is proposed to tell, while strolling, the events and places related to this character of our history with passage obliged to the Jeanne d’Arc Historial located in the Archiepiscopal Palace.
- 13h30 – Continuation of the journey to the Normandy coast via Fécamps (1h00) to arrive at Etretat (20 min).
- 15h00 – Discover the Cliffs of Etretat with their chalky and vertiginous walls pierced by caves
- Night in Etretat
What hotel in Etretat ? Chante Brise
This is the place to stay absolutely if you want a breathtaking view of the emblem of Etretat : The « Aiguille Creuse ». Its location is its major asset but it should also be noted that it has a garden and a beautiful terrace. In addition, you will have free access to private parking !
The beach, the Etretat Gardens and the city center are a 10 minute walk away only.
Honfleur Deauville – Day 2
- Departure at 8h00 From Etretat to Honfleur (1h00)
- Visit Honfleur
- 11h – Drive Deauville (30 min)
- Visit Deauville
Symbol of the French chic and elegance of the 1900s, Deauville boasts some prestigious palaces and numerous imposing charming houses… Its large beach is bordered by the famous 1920s « planches » with its typical beach cabins.
- 18h – Drive to Caen (1h00)
- Night in Caen
What hotel in Caen ? Mercure Caen Centre Port De Plaisance
This hotel enjoys a pleasant location facing the harbor, 5 minutes from the city center and the pedestrian area. Buses and trams can be reached in 3 minutes from the hotel, while the D-Day beaches can be reached in 30 minutes. It is a very nice hotel with high performance for a price quite right.
Caen and D-day beaches – Day 3
- 9h00 – Visit Caen
In Caen, you can visit the Memorial of Caen (unavoidable museum on the Battle of Normandy and history of the 20th century) or buildings related to Guillaume le Conquérant (Castle Caen, Abbey Ladies, Abbey Church St Etienne …).
- 13h00 – Route to the D-day beaches : Juno Beach and Gold Beach (30 min).
- 16h00 – Drive to Omaha Beach (45 min)
- Visit the US military cemetery at Omaha Beach, the largest Allied Necropolis in Normandy
- 18h30 – Road to Bayeux (30 min)
- Night in Bayeux
What hotel in Bayeux ? Hotel Reine Mathilde
Located in the medieval district of Bayeux, the hotel Reine Mathilde is perfect for a stopover hotel in Bayeux. You can enjoy its restaurant which offers a large choice of traditional dishes (served in the dining room or on the terrace when the weather is nice). But its biggest asset is its price : 60 Euros the night !
Bayeux Mont Saint Michel – Day 4
- 8h00 – Visit Bayeux
Spared by the Second World War, Bayeux captivates with its medieval charm. Bayeux houses the precious tapestry, known throughout the world and registered in the register “Memory of the World” of UNESCO.
- 10h30 – Road to Mont Saint Michel (1h30)
- Stop your hotel to leave your luggage and your car
- 13h00 – Shuttle from the hotel to Mont Saint Michel (10 min)
- Visit Mont Saint Michel
Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Mont Saint-Michel and its Abbey are jewels of the heritage of Medieval Normandy.
- 18h30 – Return to your hotel
- Night near the Mont Saint Michel
What hotel near Mont Saint Michel ? Le Relais Du Roy
This traditional stone-walled hotel is just 1.9 km from Mont Saint-Michel.
Parking is free, as is the shuttle to Mont-Saint-Michel (stop 50 meters from the hotel).
Some rooms have a balcony with views of Mont Saint-Michel.
Plus : The on-site gourmet restaurant serving regional specialties that will delight you !
Saint Malo Dinan – Day 5
- 8h00 – Drive from the Mont Saint-Michel to Saint Malo (40 min)
- Visit Saint Malo
Fortified city legendary corsairs, Saint Malo attracts, for its atmosphere, its narrow streets, its ramparts, its Cathedral Saint Vincent and the tomb of Châteaubriand.
- 14h00 – Road to Dinan (30 min)
- Walk in the old cobbled streets lined with typical Dinan wood houses. Don’t miss its medieval castle.
- 18h00 – Road to Paimpol (1h30)
Night in Paimpol
What hotel in Paimpol ? Hotel K’Loys
In a 19th century building, facing the port and in the old town, this hotel is also very well located to visit easily the island of Bréhat (10 minutes by car). This old hotel has a lot of charm even if the decoration is a little vintage…
At 60 Euros per night, it’s a very good plan !
Paimpol Pointe de l’Arcouest Brehat Island and Pink Granit coast – Day 6
- 9h00 – Departure from Paimpol to the Pointe de L’Arcouest (tip of Arcouest)
15 minutes from the tip of Arcouest, Brehat Island is nicknamed the Island of flowers. Possibility of a cruise around the Island of Brehat.
- 13h00 – Road along the Pink Granite Coast to Tregastel (1h00)
- 14h00 – Walk from Tregastel to Ploumanach (1h00) or take a taxi (10 min)
Ploumanac’h is a natural site of exceptional beauty. You will admire the pink granite rocks that proudly overlook the Ocean.
- 16h00 – Drive to Plougasnou village (1h00)
- 17h00 – If you have enough time, you can go to the Pointe de Diben and come back to Plougasnou
- Night in Plougasnou
What hotel in Plougasnou ? Le Château de Sable
This hotel offers well-equipped apartments located on the seafront (just a small road to cross) and overlooks a beautiful large beach in Plougasnou, next to a beautiful rocky point. With its free parking, its location is perfect to go the next day to see the Pointe de Primel.
Its quality/price ratio is unbeatable : 55 Euros
Pointe de Primel Morlaix Locroman and Quimper – Day 7
- 9h00 – 10 min ride to discover the Pointe de Primel and its beautiful panorama over the bay of Morlaix
- 10h00 – Road to Morlaix (30 min) and its imposing Viaduct
- 10h30 – Visit Morlaix, walk in its steep streets and lined with houses from the Middle Ages
- 13h00 – Road to Locroman (2h00)
- 15:00 – Locroman tour
Here is one of the most beautiful villages of Brittany, this ancient city of weavers.
- 17h30 – Drive to Quimper (20 min)
- Visit Quimper
Well known for its earthenware manufacture, Quimper is the oldest city in Brittany. You can discover the old town and Saint-Corentin Cathedral.
- Night in Quimper
What hotel in Quimper ? Best Western Hôtel Kregenn
In a superb building in the city center, this hotel is perfect for visiting Quimper. It is just 300 meters from Quimper Cathedral and offers private on-site parking. The buffet breakfast with fresh fruit and local produce is very welcome.
Pointe du Raz Concarneau Pont Aven – Day 8
- 8h00 – Drive from Quimper to the pointe du Raz (1h00) and the baie des Trepasses
At the extreme Cape Finistere, here is a grandiose site passing through the Bay of Trepasses and Pointe du Raz with its huge cliffs and blocks of sandstone and granite carved like spurs.
- 10h30 – Go to Concarneau (1h15)
- Visit of Concarneau with its granite ramparts built by the famous architect Vauban.
- 14h30 – Drive from Concarneau to Pont Aven (30 min)
- Visit Pont Aven, the city of painters artists
City that owes its notoriety to the school of painters and especially Gauguin, Pont Aven is full of charm, poetry and romance.
- Night in Pont Aven
What hotel in Pont Aven ? Les Chambres de l’Atelier
These guest rooms are very well located in Pont-Aven. The property is very well rated and has parking. For a stage night, it’s perfect, especially with its small price : 76 Euros per night including breakfast !
Quiberon Vannes – Day 9
- 8h – Drive from Pont Aven to Quiberon (2h00)
- Discovery of the peninsula of Quiberon. You can choose a small train ride around the many standing menhirs in the moorland forming the most famous megalithic alignment in Europe. Website
- 16h00 – Drive from Quiberon to Vannes (1h00)
- Night in Vannes
What hotel in Vannes ? Au vieux Port
Beautiful apartments in the very center of the old town, next to the harbor and with public parking nearby. The studios are modern, tastefully decorated and very clean. The value for money is excellent for the location and benefits : only 45 Euros the night !
Vannes Paris – Day 10
- Visit Vannes
Capital of Morbihan, Vannes is to visit for its marina, its fortified place, its medieval city, its quays lined with 15th century houses…
- 14h00 – Come back driving to Paris (5h00)
You prefer to visit South of France ?
You can look at my post :